Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
What are they talking about?
Common library terminology can help you figure it out.
- Call number: a set of letters and numbers identifying a particular item in a library collection. Most university libraries (including UNF) use the Library of Congress Classification. Most public libraries use the Dewey Decimal Classification.
- Library textbooks are to use in the Library only - they cannot be taken outside of the Library.
- SCF Libraries do not have copies of every course material and/or textbook, but do for the most common and General Education courses, depending on the Campus. For example:
- ENC1101 and 1102, and many Literature books
- MAT1033, MAC1104, MGF1106/1107, and many other Math books
- AMH1010 and 1020, and other History books
- CHM, BSC, and other Science books, as well as some Nursing books
- ... and more!
- Interlibrary Loan (ILL): a system by which one library obtains a work for a user by borrowing it from another library. ( Ask us if you need a book from another library.
- Journal: a periodical containing articles and current information on research and development in a particular area of study. Journals may be more like a magazine or they may be academic in nature. See the Doing Research tab in this guide for more information on academic/scholarly, peer-reviewed, and refereed journals.
- Library catalog: Search the online catalog for books, ebooks amd more.
- Research database: provides descriptive information (title, author, date, subjects, summary or abstract) for periodical articles and other information. Many databases also contain the full-text of the articles.
- To find books, ebooks articles amd more log on the the library website
Your library staff
Contact one of our SCF librarians for help with your research. Bradenton, 941-752-5305.
SCF libraries:Hours and Locations